Sunday, July 11, 2010

Shabbat #1 in Jerusalem


With my Jerusalem host taking off for the weekend, I had to figure out something to do. And quick. It was already Thursday afternoon and by the same time the next day people would already be preparing for the sabbath and probably not take kindly to requests for new guests, or so I thought.

Thursday night I miraculously received a message on facebook from an old friend, dating back to my high school era. This friend, Miryam, actually responded to an earlier request to connect with her on the site and, after (admittedly) not sure of who I was, invited me to be with her family for Shabbat.

I walked from Baka, where I am staying, to San Simon, another nice, quiet neighborhood in what might be thought of as southern Jerusalem. Miryam's dining room has a panoramic vista of the Baka and Talpiot neighborhoods, which was incredible to take it. After catching up for a bit, I went to Friday night services with her husband Eli, who took me to a place with quite an eclectic mix of Jews from all over: Breslov rebbies, fur streimels, some settler-types and a kid from Wilmette.

Before returning the next day for lunch, I went to another synagogue nearby and ended up seeing two people that I know. Go figure. Similar to running into people in New York but with the added bonus of nice hospitality! I participated in the services, which were attended by a sizable Anglo population, by blessing the congregation twice during the Birkat Cohanim.

Last night after watching the Uruguay-Germany soccer match and debating the future of Israeli/Palestinian relations with Rafi, I took his dog Max for a long walk. One that I started in hopes of finding Beit Canada, the absorption center that will soon be my home. Without much luck I headed back, but not before stopping at the Goldman Tayelet and admiring the view of the city from the South (pictured above).

In all, this was a great first Shabbat experience here as a resident and I am certainly grateful for the kindness and tradition of hachnasat orchim (hospitality) found in Israel. And look forward to more of it!

No comments: