Wednesday, August 11, 2010

More Frolicking in Jerusalem

Looking Ahead
Today my afternoon began with a meeting with Ariel Beery, the co-founder of PresenTense, a non-profit dedicated to advancing Jewish-themed start-ups around the world. Armed with peach ice tea and strong ideas, we had a great, lengthy discussion about some of my thoughts on what I'd like to explore and develop as well as areas in which I can help the organization realize some of its goals. I will definitely look forward to working with them and supporting the causes.

Ariel gave me a recent PresenTense print magazine to take with me. Having some time to kill, I went to a small, yet beautiful rose garden across the street from his office in Emek Refa'im (the German Colony by name, the American colony by population) and began to read it. I was pretty impressed by the reach and range of organizations PresenTense supports - very expansive and certainly interesting and impactful.

Not What You'd Expect
After reading most of the magazine, I met my roommate on the street to head over to my bank for some drinks and sushi. Yes, that's right. My new Bank haPoalim branch invited me and a guest to an open sushi/wine dinner in the courtyard outside their office on the occasion of their recent opening. It was pretty fun, certainly different and definitely fulfilling - quite a departure of the list of Israeli bank charges and bureaucracy. I had a few glasses of red wines from the Tabor Winery and a decent selection of vegetarian sushi before starting to head back to the homefront. The event in itself for me was just another example of the simple pleasures and fun found here that would otherwise be absent elsewhere.

Smooth Finish
On the walk home I stopped to say hi to my friend Michal, who I've known for years and who happens to live in my neighborhood now. After catching up over a glass of Limonana, I got some in some good Hebrew practice and she gave me some 'homework' - a short story to read and understand.

And a sunset on the way home closes another fun day of adventures.

No comments: