Wednesday, August 4, 2010

An Afternoon in Ein Karem

In the hopefully never-ending continuation of my explorations and adventures, I went with ulpan friends Dan (Brazil) and Emma (Australia via England) to my roommate Sheeran's dad's place in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Ein Karem. During the interlude of waiting for the second bus to come, I met two young Israelis who were volunteering to promote a viewpoint on the prisoner swap issue regarding Gilad Shalit. The represented organization's slogan is: "Yes to Free Shalit - No to Free Terrorists!" Distinct from the Shalit family's message, this organization stands firm that it is not interested in releasing terrorists 'at any price' in order for Shalit's return. They have their own poster of faces that represents the victims of previous terror attacks, committed by potential candidates for release in a possible prisoner swap. What should be understood is two things. First, the whole country is interested in Gilad Shalit's return home quickly and safely. Secondly, it is important to recognize that there is much pain on both sides and that the issue is not so simple.

Once we got off the rollercoaster of a ride (described as such because of the ups and downs of the Jerusalem hills and also because of the near vomit-inducing experience of sitting on the extension part of an extended bus driven by an Israeli bus driver) we followed Sheeran to his dad's place. On the way, two nice locals (Sima and Tzlil) invited us up to their balcony since they saw that our eyes were wide and amazed at the spectacular views. We went to what turned out to be Sheeran's family's compound, or so it seemed. A comfortable amount of property and on it a house that his dad built in the '70s. We talked with his dad for a bit, listened to some Israeli music and had tea while playing shesh besh (backgammon). Actually, Sheeran pretty much decimated me, but to my credit I'm still a beginner. After resting a bit, we picked some fresh fruit from the various types of trees they have in their garden. I especially enjoyed the fresh, soft figs. My first time eating fresh figs were at Kibbutz Gadot just a few weeks ago. Time #2 was equally as good and interesting. Who knew what they would taste like outside a Fig Newton?!

Since the hour was getting late, much to my dismay we missed the dinner bell. Instead, on the way back we stopped at a falafel shop close to our dorm. Though I was not initially interested in partaking in any curiously round, fried chickpeas this evening, I did finally have my first falafel since my arrival. Though some things are ridiculously expensive (namely, cars, which carry a 100% tax), street food is quite the opposite. I was able to get half a portion of falafel in a lafa, a tortilla-esque version of a pita, for only 9 sheks ($2.39). Not bad for a dinner; not bad for a nice day touring another scenic-ly serene neighborhood in Jerusalem.

No comments: