Saturday, November 24, 2007

Strengthgiving: An Ode To Live

I can picture the conversation moving from person to person sitting around a dinner table in what could be thought of as the Thanksgiving version of "A Christmas Story" with each family member recounting what he or she is thankful for that year. I can guess what others may be thankful for based on some of my own past appreciations: friends, family, opportunities to travel, health, presents. The list could go on of course.

Something I have witnessed recently is the uncanny strength of a woman I know. Her name is Gretchen; she is my aunt. What is not visible in the musculature of her figure is quite apparent in the stamina of her psyche. True, she is fighting a difficult battle which definitely presents its tough days and challenges. The pain is hard to deal with and the emotions she expresses are not unlike a winding road with an uncertain future. Yet she personifies hope and strength more than anyone else I have known.

Hers is a story that has the potential to make others strive to do better - it has already rubbed off on me. Gretchen knows the value of life, she recognizes the importance of family. She is a mother of a thirteen year old son who thinks the world of her. Her determination to live is constantly encouraged by her will to provide for and support her son, Justin, and to see him grow up. It makes the average person's desires, mine included, for a new digital camera or music player rather paltry. Moreover, after learning about a new staph infection she contracted, my frustration with not getting accepted to one of the business schools to which I applied was immediately erased. I would much rather never go to business school if it meant that my aunt could live longer days. And of course my plans for what may come next fall pale in comparison to my interest in Gretchen's health. Her voice is soft and her body frail - but the words that exit her mouth are only "great," "cool" and "real nice" spoken in a mellow drawl when I talk to her about feeling better and paying her visits.

Gretchen, something that stuck with me through the years is when you told one of my sisters as she celebrated her bat mitzva to always know who she was and to not feel compelled to paint her face. This mentality demonstrates the depth of your character and truly represents the meaningful lessons you have passed on to us. I always thought it was so admirable that you put yourself above the commonplace notions that society places on girls my sister's age. With that remark you taught us to be individuals and to think on our own. Perhaps that is part of what influenced your decision to shave your head (and though you might have heard this many times already, I think it looks so great and presents a very new you! I really like how it has grown in.). I respect that so much and attribute it to the strength of the person you are.

Seeing what you have been going through makes me appreciate the small things in life that we often take for granted. I want to be more considerate and less cynical; I want to enjoy the simple pleasures that can zip by if you're not looking. I want to not worry about missing the next bus or train, knowing full well that there are far more difficult obstacles in life. You have certainly had your share of obstacles and have made such strides in concurring them. We believe in you and support you and love you incredibly much - and hopefully with this powerful support network and your own determination, we can beat this.


...So what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

No comments: